مشروع:About Gender Wiki
This page has the following permenant URL:
Wiki Gender is a collaborative knowledge platform which is constantly producing and collecting content on gender,feminism, and women-related issues in Arabic and from a feminist perspective. It provides open content and promotes the production of knowledge in this field by all those interested.
In December 2015, Goethe Institute requested technical support from the Arab Digital Expression Foundation (ADEF) to build a website serving as a directory for institutions and active groups working on gender and women’s issues. After discussions with participating members, the project evolved later into a knowledge database taking the form of a Wiki, not simply a directory for institutions and groups.
Accordingly, It developed into a platform that stores and categorizes original and collected content covering gender, and women-related issues, which is edited and updated by individuals who are active and/or professionally working in the field as well as anyone else interested in the topic.
After a year of brainstorming and extensive work between Goethe Institute and the Arab Digital Expression Foundation (ADEF) in collaboration with gender and women’s rights organizations, individuals, and feminists researching similar topics, Wiki Gender was launched on December 2016 to start a journey of archiving, assimilating and documenting information on gender and women’s issues whether academic, artistic, or media-related.
Since then we have been working collectively; developing content plans and pages, building our editorial policies, and holding regular meetings and intensive camps to learn new wiki techniques and make major decisions together.
- Producing cumulative knowledge on gender, and women's issues in Arabic through participatory work;
- Monitoring and documenting initiatives, groups, institutions, projects, and activities in the field;
- Networking and exchanging experiences between those interested in gender and women's issues, whether individuals, groups or institutions;
- Encouraging and stimulating discussion and interaction with content, both on the wiki and on other platforms.
We produce and collect content on gender and women's issues in Arabic from a feminist perspective. Our content can be divided into the following sections:
- Organizations, groups, collectives, and projects working on related topics;
- Profiles of individuals who are affecting or have been affecting change in the feminist thought, journalism, literature, and art; and women human rights defenders;
- Books, both literary and philosophical, which discussed feminism, gender and/or any related women's issues.
- Glossary of gender terms in Arabic;
- Movies, T.V. series, Plays, Radio shows, Songs, and Podcasts that discussed our issues of concern. For each work, we attempt at criticizing the idea and treatment from a feminist perspective;
- Campaigns run by women's right NGOs and feminist groups;
- Accidents and Cases involving harassment, sexual attack, rape, killing, arrests, torture, and/or other types of oppression against women, feminists, and women human rights defenders;
- Archive of different kinds of documents produced by feminist NGOs, artists, writers, and researchers such as press releases, reports, studies, position papers, statistics, photos, graphic designs, drawings, comics, cartoons, and info-graphs;
- Translations of articles and papers discussing our areas of interest, whether done by our wiki members or by other sources.
Original work and translations produced by our community of researchers and contributors is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike v 4.0, unless otherwise stated.
All other works collected, for the purpose of preservation and availing to researchers, have has their rights reserved by their authors and/or publishers and are attributed to them accordingly.
How we work together
Wiki Gender is a voluntary and open group, and anyone interested in participating and working on the wiki may join and attend the sessions and group discussions taking place for the further development of the wiki’s content.
- Goethe Institute in Cairo
- Financial sponsorship
- Arab Digital Expression Foundation
- Technical development and support